B
L
O
G

A student in a computer lab
Leah Beth Warren was one of only 20 students nationwide to win the Phi Theta Kappa scholarship, and she is the first BCCC student to win it. She is pictured at the Learning Enhancement Center, where she works as a tutor.

Leah Beth Warren Wins National Phi Theta Kappa All-USA Scholarship

Beaufort County Community College congratulates Leah Beth Warren for winning the Phi Theta Kappa All-USA Scholarship. The All-USA Academic Team recognizes 20 high-achieving college students from across the country who demonstrate academic excellence and intellectual rigor, combined with leadership and service that extends their education beyond the classroom to benefit society. Warren is the first North Carolina student win the scholarship since 2014, and the first BCCC student to do so.

“Knowing that I’ve been recognized for my community service makes me feel proud of the work I’ve done,” said Warren. The essay she submitted with her application focused on the fundraiser for the Zion Men’s Shelter and Kitchen in which she participated. She serves as vice-president of Gamma Beta Phi, the honor society at BCCC. She was excited to step into a leadership role with the group. The organization recently raised funds for the Open Door Women’s Shelter, Washington’s newly opened—and first—homeless shelter for women, and the Zion Men’s Kitchen and Shelter in Washington after it was heavily damage by Hurricane Florence.

“Service pulled me out of my shell,” she said. “Before this I would do my school work and go home. I saw this opportunity, and I thought, ‘I could be a leader and focus on other people'.”

“Thus, I began volunteering in my community and focusing my energy on the improvement of others,” she wrote in her essay. “I put myself in new environments where I could display my personality and use my strengths to lead and inspire. I stopped worrying about every aspect of my life and focused on where I could make a real difference in the lives of others and in my community as a whole.”

“We are all very proud of Leah Beth’s achievement!” said Dr. Dave Loope, BCCC president. “This is a great honor both for her and BCCC. The award is recognition of all the hard work Leah Beth has performed throughout her academic career—hard work that gave her the thinking and writing skills necessary to win a national scholarship competition.”

Warren is a resident of Blounts Creek. This spring, she will earn her high school diploma, an Associate in Arts and an Associate in Science. She is dual-enrolled in the Beaufort County Early College High School and works as a tutor at the Learning Enhancement Center at the college. She is the daughter of Brian and Micki Warren and plans to transfer to East Carolina University where she will study biomedical engineering with a focus on medical textiles. Warren became interested in the field after attending an open house at NC State University, as well as drawing inspiration from her father’s occupation at DSM, a medical fiber manufacturer.

“Knowing that this was such a large competition, they were really proud of my accomplishment,” she said of her parents’ reaction.

ECU will pay for half of her tuition, and she was admitted to the honors college. That, along with the All-USA Scholarship, means she will not have to worry about financing her education. BCCC thanks Warren for her commitment to her community and wishes her the best on her future endeavors.

news