B
L
O
G

A smiling student
Taylor Moore, a Washington High School senior, takes the helm of the Student Government Association at BCCC.

Taylor Moore takes the lead of Student Government Association at Beaufort

Taylor Moore is ready to take her previous leadership experience and bring a new perspective as she steps up as president of the Student Government Association at Beaufort County Community College. Moore is in her second year at Beaufort, and the high school senior brings her experience from serving as vice-president of Student Government Association at Washington High School.

After earning an Associate in Science, Moore plans to transfer to a university to complete a bachelor’s degree in psychology before attending a medical school to become a psychiatrist. As a high school student, she can take free college classes to get ahead through Career & College Promise. Her top university picks are the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University and Appalachian State University.

“It was my first year [at Beaufort]. I was a little nervous to do the events that SGA had set up. I want to try to incorporate student involvement some more,” said Moore. This fall will bring some complications for that kind of engagement as the college will run modified, in-person classes, but continue to restrict large gatherings.

“I think we can incorporate more social media and do virtual activities,” she said. “These were things we did at the high school.” She was involved with Gamma Beta Phi, the honor society at Beaufort, and at Washington HS, she participated in Math Club, Project Unify, cheer, track, swim, musical, Stunt Night, Young Life, and National Honor Society. When COVID-19 restrictions hit, she saw these activities come to a halt.

“Everything definitely slowed down, but this could be an opportunity to make the best out of it,” she reflected. “Slow down on everything that is going on. Take some time for yourself. We could look at it as, ‘My summer got canceled,” but we could look at it as a time to focus on what’s important.”

“With all those activities, I was just going and going. I never had time to stop at home, to talk to my parents, but once COVID hit, it was nice to have time to focus on yourself and live life.”

She wants to bring this perspective to the students at the college, especially the ones who may struggle more by missing out on classroom and campus interactions.

In relation to overcoming struggles with switching to online classes, she said, “If there’s students struggling, I saw multiple emails asking students ‘how are you?’ I think students need to reach out to those emails and be realistic and say, ‘Hey, I need help in this class,’ or say, ‘Hey, I’m fine.’

“I’m trying to look out for ways I can help those who need it,” she said of her role in getting students through the pandemic. “We need to reach out to the students­–since all of our ideas should come from the students–to make it a fun year for them and to make it better for them.”

She circles back to reframing the situation. “Make the best out of this situation. I know that it can be hard, but change your perspective on it in any way possible.”

news