B
L
O
G

a student
Dual-enrolled high school student and BCCC ambassador Gavin Watson is ready to pass on the mentoring he received from his teachers at Washington Montessori Public Charter School.

English Teacher in Training: Gavin Watson

Grateful for the male role models he had in high school, dual-enrolled Beaufort County Community College student Gavin Watson plans to become an English teacher to be a role model for the next generation. The Montessori Public Charter School student will transfer to Liberty University to complete his degree.

“In high school, a lot of young men struggle with having any male presence in their life, especially my generation and the generations coming,” Watson says based on his interactions with other students. “I think as a teacher, being a male presence or role model, that's the thing I want to happen the most. I have been blessed with one of the best English teachers I could ever ask for. Having him be a role model for me throughout my four years of high school has been really wonderful.”

The Beaufort CCC ambassador reflects on how important role models have been to him. “I have plenty in my life already, but it's always good to have more with different views on things, and I couldn't really imagine not having one in general.”

Watson chose to teach English specifically because he enjoyed the books he read in class, and he thinks that while writing well is hard, it is enjoyable.

“I have plenty of spare time to read. I have a lot of things I want to read. I just never give myself that time,” he says. “But with English class, I was given these interesting books to read, and I was being made to read them, of course, but I still liked it.”

Some of this interest in teaching and mentorship has come from his involvement with his church, Harvest Church, which he considers a second home. He helps with Sunday school, and he tries to be there for members of the congregation.

Watson started at Washington Montessori in kindergarten, and the model eases off teacher involvement in high school. The college has helped with that transition to independence even more.

He started at Beaufort CCC with just a few classes, but his course load has increased this year. Along the way, he learned to take studying seriously and felt excited about the scenery changes and the variety of experiences he has throughout his day. Watson may stay at Beaufort CCC another year to earn more tuition-free credits and complete his Associate in Arts before transferring to Liberty University.

“I'm actually glad I'm experiencing this now, so when I get to Liberty, I'll have at least some sort of experience with adapting to the college lifestyle. In college, they're not going to see you struggling, so if you're struggling, you need to go to them.”

Coming from a setting where he has gone to school with the same group since the third grade, finding a university with a strong community is important to him.

"Liberty, of course, is a bigger college, and when I went to visit, they still had that sense of community there. I really liked that because that's kind of like Montessori. They do like a big group service because it's a Christian school, and we got to experience that on the tour, which I thought was really cool because it really is everyone on campus at one place.”

He thinks teachers are unappreciated in a lot of states, both in pay and by parents, and a lot of blame gets pushed onto them. Because it has historically been a female profession, it is not a career that many men consider. Having had many male teachers, though, has guided him into the profession.

“Hopefully, it'll change because there's been discussion about it, like trying to get teacher pay up or more funding for education departments, but in reality teaching is a very unappreciated, underpaid job, and I'm just accepting that.”

He is going into teaching with his eyes open. There is a passion that is required for the career. “Every teacher I've told I wanted to be a teacher, they have been like, don't. I see that as motivation because it's like I know it's going to be that, and I know there's going to be days where I tremendously regret every moment, but I think that also builds character. It really makes you realize you have to have your heart in it to want to do it.”

He is ready to be a role model, and he thinks everyone has the possibility to affect lives, no matter how small of an impact. “You don't know how much a teacher has an impact on a child's life, but if they're good to them, or if they're not good to them, a kid is going to remember both.”

news