How to Apply for Financial Aid

Financial Aid eligibility is based on taxable income, untaxed income and benefits, assets, family size, and the number of family members attending post-secondary institutions, as well as other factors. Other eligibility requirements include your academic performance record, enrollment status, state residency, and student loan borrowing history.

  • Admission application on file. Note: You may apply for the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to completing an Admission’s application but be aware the Financial Aid Office will not be able to import, view and process your FAFSA until an Admission’s student record has been established.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen (such as a permanent resident)
  • Register with Selective Service if you are a male 18 years of age or older
  • Making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) if you have attended previously
  • Be in good standing with any student loans (not in default)

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Students may apply for federal student aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the internet (insert link)

Note: Applying on-line is only the first step in a process, which can take up to three to four weeks to complete.

Once you have submitted your on-line application the school will receive your student aid report (SAR) and will notify you by mail of your results. Please make sure your address is current in your BCCC student record.

Additional documentation may be requested if the federal government selects your record for verification purposes. If additional documentation is required, it is essential to provide it as soon as possible for priority processing.

Examples of documents frequently required are tax return transcripts, wage statements (W2s), verification of number of household members and members in college, income verification form, proof of separation/divorce, and school transcripts.

Once your financial (file) process is complete, you will be awarded according to your eligibility and will receive an award letter in the mail. You may also view awards, bookstore charges, tuition and fees in your student portal Web Advisor.Students should retain their award letter and keep it with their important records for future reference.

Enrollment Status & Award Adjustments

Your award letter amounts are based on full-time enrollment. The requirement for full eligibility for Federal & the NCELS State Grant is 12 or more credit hours. Your award total will be reduced proportionately if you attend less than full time. The Financial Aid office regards enrollment status as follows:

12 or more hours Full-time (This includes the summer semester)

9 – 11 hours ¾-time

6 – 8 hours ½ time

1 – 5 hours less-than-half-time

Note: The North Carolina Community College grant (NCCCG) implemented “Full-Time Plus” (15+) which assigns the maximum award total based on 15 or more credit hours and this total will be the amount shown on the award letter.

Financial aid amount(s) received will be prorated (reduced) based on your enrollment status. The table below indicates the percentage of award amount(s) printed on your award letter you will receive based on the number of hours enrolled.

Enrollment Status

Pell Grant

NCCCG/ NC Community

College Grant

NCELS/ NC Education

Lottery Scholarship Grant


15 hours





12+ hours










6-8 hours





1-5 hours


Not eligible

Not eligible


Note: Dropping and adding classes during the Drop/Add period may cause changes in your award total(s). Please see your Financial Aid Advisor if you are uncertain of how it will affect your aide.

The enrollment status of students in Practical Nursing and Basic Law Enforcement Technology is determined differently and may affect your award amount. Federal regulations require these programs use a formula based on the number of class hours in which the student is enrolled each week. As a result, the enrollment status will not be the same as students in an associate degree program.

LOANS: BCCC no longer participates in the Federal Direct Student Loan program. Students wishing to borrow must apply for private loans and must be registered for a minimum of 6 credit hours

Outside Scholarships: You are obligated to report to the Financial Aid Office any additional financial resources you may receive to be used for educational purposes such as scholarships, loans or educational gifts.

Text Book Purchases

Required books and supplies are currently ordered through the on-line bookstore Akedemos.

Note: If you are enrolled in a combination of regular start classes and late start classes and relying on financial aid to pay for your books & supplies, you must order your all of your books & supplies at the beginning of the semester. The time period to use your financial aid to purchase books & supplies is limited. Please be aware of the deadline to be announced. Students using alternative off-campus book & supply sources are responsible for payment and may not use financial aid.

Tuition Payment

Once you have registered for classes, and provided your financial aid (file) process is complete, your Federal and/or State awards, including private loans and scholarships will appear on the BCCC Cashier’s Office computer records, as well as in the Student portal Web Advisor. Tuition, fees and book/supply charges will be automatically deducted from your student aid account.

Please be aware of the published due dates for paying tuition & fees. If your financial aid (file) process is not complete and no award entered, you must pay your balance out of pocket or your classes will be dropped.

Award Disbursements

After tuition/fees and bookstore purchases are deducted from your student account any remaining financial aid will be refunded to the student via check mailed on the published dates. There is not a direct deposit option at BCCC.

School Transcripts

You must submit official transcripts from your high school and or GED to the Admissions office, and official transcripts from all previously attended colleges to the Financial Aid Office.

Student Information

The student is responsible for keeping all student information current. You must notify the Financial Aid Office & Admission’s office of any changes to the following: contact information (name, address, phone numbers, email etc...), marital status, change of major, withdrawing from classes, adding classes, or withdrawing from the college. Any delay in the receipt of correspondence or financial aid checks to students due to incorrect contact information is not the responsibility of the Financial Aid Office.

Program of Study

You must enroll in a program leading to a degree, diploma or eligible certificate. However, most diploma and certificate programs are not eligible for federal or state funding. Your financial aid is based on one primary program of study and the catalog year of record. Financial Aid will not be applied to any course not listed as a for program completion and graduation.

Developmental Courses and Late Start Classes (Modules and Mini-mesters)

Students enrolled in developmental classes (DMA, DMS, DRE) and classes with irregular start dates are paid out based on the credit hours actively attending at the beginning of the semester. You will not receive the balance of your grant until after entering & attending the class.

Example: A student registered for 12 credit hours (full-time) but one of 3 credit hour classes is a late start & begins in October. This late start class will be held for the student but he/she will be awarded based on her active 9 hrs and will receive ¾ (75%) of his/her award. Federal regulations will not allow us to pay/award for a class not actively enrolled in. Once the student enters/attends the late start class, the student will receive the remaining ¼ (25%) of his/her total award balance.

*Students must register for late start classes at the same time they register for regular starting classes in order to use financial aid to pay for classes. Exception: If a student is not registered nor attended any regular start classes, then financial aid may be used for late start classes.

Development Course Work Limitation

Federal Regulations limits students to 30 hours of developmental coursework which may be paid with federal student funds. Your award will be adjusted for any remedial courses taken in excess of 30 credits.

Repeated Course Work Limits

Students are limited to one repeat for a course previously taken with an earned credit/grade for the purposes of earning a higher grade. If the course is taken a third time, it will not be considered for financial aid enrollment purposes.